A dog collar is an important piece of equipment that can help you keep your canine friend safe and under control, whether you are at the park or out in public. But, when your dog is wearing a collar, it should fit him properly. The question “How Should a Dog Collar Fit?” is not a tricky one, but some things must be ensured to guarantee that the collar fits well.
What I Will Learn?
Why Should A Dog Collar Fit?
If the collar does not fit well, it will be uncomfortable for your dog to wear and will cause him uneasiness or injury. If the collar is too tight, there is a risk of choking, which could lead to serious injuries, such as damage to the nerves in your dog’s neck or even suffocation. If the collar is too loose, it will come off easily or can get caught on something.
Given below is a detailed guide on how a collar should fit.
How Should A Dog Collar Fit Exactly?
Usually, first-time owners cannot determine whether the collar fits well or not. Here are some points, I considered while ensuring the fitness of the collar for my dog:
- A collar should fit well and should be comfortable for your dog. It should not press on sensitive areas, such as the throat or the windpipe, and it should sit around the natural neckline of your dog.
- The general rule is that you should be able to get two fingers under the collar. If it is too tight, your dog will feel discomfort and you would not be able to attach a leash. If it is too loose, the collar could get caught on something and choke your dog or cause serious risk of injury.
- A good test to see if the collar is too tight is to open your dog’s mouth. If the collar blocks his windpipe, you will see that it is digging into his neck or there will not be enough room for two fingers under the collar. On the other hand, if you can pull out more than half an inch of loose skin from under the collar, then it’s too loose and could get caught on something.
- If a collar is fitting correctly, this will rarely cause discomfort to your dog. A collar is considered to fit well if the dog is comfortable with it. Signs of discomfort include holding up his head while walking, pulling on the leash, or rubbing his chin on his shoulders often.
- You should also check for skin irritation, redness, hair loss, or sores, which are signs that a collar is too tight. If you see any of these signs, take your dog to a vet immediately, and remove the collar, as it does not fit well.
How Do I Know If My Dog’s Collar Fits?
It can be difficult to tell if a collar is fitting correctly, especially if the collar has multiple holes. You will need to attach a leash so that you can check how easily your dog moves with the collar on.
You should also check for signs of pain and discomfort in your dog, as they are signs that the collar is not fitting correctly. By looking at your dog’s unwanted behavior, you can understand if the collar is too tight or too loose.
Finding A Collar That Fit Well
It is important to find out what size your dog’s neck is before buying him a collar. You can do this by measuring the circumference of his neck at the widest point, which is usually behind the ears and above his shoulders.
There are many resources online to teach you how to measure your dog’s neck circumference accurately. If you make your dog’s collar yourself, you should use a flexible material, such as nylon or leather, and also use cloth tape measure methods because a rigid collar can affect your dog’s airways. Rigid collars are hard to adjust and dogs might be able to slip out of them easily.
To conclude it can be said that collars are safe when they fit well, but it can be difficult to tell if a collar is fitting correctly. Make sure you check how the collar fits by attaching a leash and looking at your dog’s behavior. If you find that the collar is too tight or too loose, do not hesitate in taking your dog to a vet because he could be in discomfort.
Are Dog Collars Supposed To Be Loose?
No, the dog collar is not supposed to be loose. It should have a nice fit around the neck of the dog. A too-loose collar can easily slip off the head of a dog and can cause serious neck injury to your dog as he tries to free himself from the collar.
What Happens If The Dog Collar Is Too Loose?
If the collar is too loose, it can fall off the neck of your dog, which could lead to serious problems. The collar might even get stuck around your dog’s neck and cause serious damage to his throat. This will also make it difficult for you to control your dog if he ever gets out of his house or the leash.
Where Should A Dog’s Collar Sit?
The collar should sit around the base of the ears and near the front of your dog’s neck. This is where it should sit without being too tight or too loose.